Reach Out | (217) 342-5433
605 Eden Avenue Effingham, IL 62401
Monday: 9am - 5pmTuesday: 9am - 5pmWednesday: 9am - 5pmThursday: 9am - 5pm
How Does the Abortion Pill Work?
The Abortion Pill is also known as Medical Abortion. This method is approved by the "FDA for use in women up to 70 days (10 weeks) after their last menstrual period (LMP) ... The woman is given Mifeprex to swallow, which eventually causes the death of the baby over the next few days. 24-48 hours after taking the first pill, misoprostol tablets are taken which causes cramping that expels the embryo. It is possible that she may see identifiable parts expelled if she is beyond 8 weeks LMP". (Before You Decide Brochure, Carenet, 2018, p.13)
1. "serious & sometimes fatal infections & bleeding."
2. "Vaginal bleeding lasts for an average of 9-16 days; 1 in 100 women bleed enough to require surgery (D&C) to stop the bleeding."
3. "According to the FDA, several U.S. women who used the abortion pill died due to an overwhelming total body infection (or sepsis). This infection complication should be considered in any woman who feels sick (with weakness, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, with or without fever) after using Mifeprex."
4. "This abortion pill will not work in the case of an ectopic pregnancy where the embryo lodges outside of the uterus (usually in the fallopian tube). If not diagnosed early, there could be a risk of the tube bursting, internal hemorrhage & maternal death in some cases."
5. Sometimes the abortion pill fails. "Failure rate increases with advancing gestational age. A surgical abortion is usually done to complete a failed medical abortion." (p.13)
6. "There is evidence that abortion is associated with a decrease in long-term emotional & physical health. In line with the best available research … abortion significantly increases risk for: clinical depression & anxiety, drug & alcohol abuse, symptoms consistent with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), suicidal thoughts & behavior … "
7. "Many couples choose abortion to preserve their relationship. Yet research reveals that couples who choose induced abortion are at increased risk for problems in their relationship … "
8. "There is a spiritual side to abortion that deserves to be considered. What might God think about your situation? What thoughts do you have about your spiritual development & your unborn baby's future as a spiritual being?" (p. 22-23)
The Abortion Pill may seem like the most convenient & private way to have an abortion. Without getting all of the facts for your health/safety & receiving an ultrasound first, the Abortion Pill can be very risky & scary. We recommend visiting the website: www.athomeabortionfacts.com to read more about the Abortion Pill.We also recommend downloading the free app, "Before You Decide," from your App or Play store. Choose 'Abort,' 'Get the Facts,' 'Abortion or Baby, You Decide.' It's best to have factual education on all of your options to make an informed decision. Contact your local Pregnancy Resource Center for this free education.
Before You Decide Brochure, (2018) Carenet, p.13, p.22, p.23
By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://familylifepcc.org/
Disclaimer: The Family Life Center is a faith-based 501(3)(c) organization established in 1995. All of our services are confidential and free of charge. Family Life Center does not perform or refer for abortions. We do not offer annual exams, birth control devices, mid-life services, mammograms or breast screenings, invitro fertilization services, pre or postnatal care, treatment of infertility or treatment of reproductive tract infections. You will receive a referral list of local physicians for your continued reproductive healthcare needs. The information on this website is intended for general education purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional medical advice.